Discord is undoubtedly a very popular VoIP platform. Gamers mostly use this app during a particular session of playing their favourite games. This is to help them communicate with gamers around the world. As of today, Discord is a part of plenty of platforms and operating systems.
Recently, Discord introduced a new feature called Screen Share that allows the gamers to share screen with other gamers. The screen shared may incorporate the game as well as other apps like Chrome.
The feature is not limited to gamers only and is frequently used by people from all the communities. It has been reported though by several members that they are facing, what is being called, the ‘Discord screen share no sound’ problem.
To fix Discord screen share no audio problem, first step is to close the app and restart again. Now, grant elevated access to avoid authorization problems. Now, go to Settings > Game Activity and check the game that is having audio problem. Use the Push to Talk option to enable the audio of screen share.
The exact solution of Discord screen share no sound issue depends on the reason behind the problem. There are multiple reasons and hence there are multiple solutions. To know more about the reasons of problem and how to fix it, keep reading.
After investigating several cases of this Discord screen share no sound problem, it can be concluded that the source of this problem isn’t singular.
Due to different configurations of the computer, each user might face the challenge due to different causes. Let’s understand these causes one by one.
- Administrative access: When Discord shares your computer screen with that of others, it will ask for administrative access on your system. If you grant that access, the problem usually gets solved.
- Application issues: Certain apps don’t work with Discord the way they are supposed to. If this happens, your only option is to look for alternatives otherwise Discord screen share no sound issue will not be resolved.
- Audio feature initially: The mechanism of Audio with the Screen Share is initially unstable.
- Bad audio drivers: Like most sound apps, Discord uses audio drivers installed against the hardware. A corrupt audio driver or one that doesn’t function properly will result in the Discord screen share no audio problem.
If you can determine the root problem behind Discord screen share no audio issue then you can directly jump to its relevant solution and fix it permanently.
However, if you are not sure what’s causing the Discord screen share audio problem then you must follow the below methods step by step and you will be able to resolve the issue.
How to Fix Discord Streaming No Sound Problem
Before knowing about the methods of solving the problem, ensure that all your login credentials are at hand. In case the app is reset, you might have to login from scratch.
Administrative access needs to be enabled as well. Check whether the sound option has been switched ON or not. Before trying out any complicated technical stuff, you must restart the computer and check if there’s any problem there too.
Now, let’s jump straight into all the methods that can solve the Discord screen share no sound problem.
1. Granting elevated access
Since the introduction of the Screen Share option, there has been a concern regarding the privacy of the user. This option uses up additional resources and as a result there will be those situations when Discord won’t work normally.
This causes the Discord screen share no sound problem. The following steps may be a way out, however:
- Press Windows and E together for launching File Explorer.
- Go to the directory where you have installed Discord.
- It is most probably going to be the Program Files in Local Disk C.
- After opening the installation directory, right-click the apps executable and choose Properties.
- From there, select the tab that reads Compatibility.
- Click on the checkbox against the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ option.
- Click on Apply and save any changes before you exit.
Now run the app and see if the Discord screen share no sound problem persists or not.
2. Adding your Activity
Discord can detect your activities and would respond according to the same. Despite that, when you are sharing your screen with other Discord users while playing games, the app might get confused.
In order to prevent this mishap, app developers created another feature. This new feature allows the user to focus on a particular app while they are active on their computer. The steps to use this feature are as follows:
- After launching Discord, go to Settings.
- Click on entry of games to your left.
- Open Game Activity and then add the app that is facing an audio problem.
- Once you do so, you will be able to focus on a specific app.
- You must ensure that Discord is not running as an administrator.
- Also check, if any other game is running simultaneously.
If it is, then remove it from the background and then add it later to check if the Discord screen share no sound problem is still bothering or not. In case the problem is still there, switch on Overlay and then check if the problem still exists.
Discord is capable of detecting any audio activity and transmit it over internet accordingly. At the same time, the beta feature of the Screen Share option can cause multiple problems.
The only way out is to disable this automatic detection. Instead, the user needs to switch to push to talk option. In this case,
- The user has to push a particular key manually.
- The keys have been specified in the settings option of the app.
- This key will capture and transmit audio manually.
- Once you have ensured stability in Discord, however, you can undo this option.
This is a good fix to the Discord screen share no sound untill the problem is resolved by Discord. Once the auto detection feature starts working well again, you can undo the Push to talk option anytime.
4. Avoiding a full screen
The Screen Share option often malfunctions due to a certain bug that appears whenever the gamer is playing on full-screen. This bug is what causes the Discord screen share no audio problem many times by preventing any access to the game.
To eliminate the problem, quit the full screen option and see if the audio problem has been resovled. If not then, you must minimize the app or game and then restart the system. The settings can be changed easily by setting the video option to Windowed mode.
5. Checking the affected apps
In some cases, the Discord screen share no sound problem happens because the app in question was incompatible with the Screen Share option. One such app is the search engine Mozilla Firefox.
Since these apps employ more than one process, they don’t work the way they are supposed to with the Discord app.
In other words, the process owning the graphical window may not be that same as that producing sound. The Discord screen share no audio problem persists because of Discord extracting sound from the graphical window. The only fix is to wait for the tech team or look for alternate solutions to the affected apps.
6. Clearing the Discord cache and roaming data
To save the preferences of users as well as data for temporary operations, Discord employs cache as well as roaming data while functioning.
This feature is quite useful as is commonly used by Discord. But when the cache is corrupted, it causes the Discord screen share no sound problem. The only way out is to clear the cache. The steps are as follows:
- Leave Discord and shut all the process of Discord that are running, via Task Manager.
- Press the Windows option and enter ‘Run’.
- Click on Run to access the Run command box.
- Type the command %appdata% in the Run command box.
- If you don’t want to use Command prompt then just search for AppData.
- Find the Discord folder in the Roaming folder of AppData.
- Right-click and then choose the Delete option.
- Reboot your PC and then launch the app to check the status of the problem.
Caching technique is employed by almost all the apps to store the data and provide faster access however, sometimes the cache data gets corrupted and creates problems.
Most of the times, the problem can be resolved by just clearing the cache data of the app and restarting it. Don’t worry, your Discord history or other data will not be affected.
Clearing cache data does not affect any of your account related data or your activities. All your Discord bots, channels, plugins, and other settings will remain unaffected.
7. Reinstall or update the app
As mentioned previously, the Screen Share option along with audio is a beta feature. However, this is not a universal case as all cases cannot account for the same.
There haven’t been that many tests to prove the same. Additionally, Discord officials have stated that this feature is present in the Canary client and will also be available in the stable version.
If you don’t want to wait for the latter, reinstallation is your only way out. The steps are as follows:
- Press Windows and R and then enter “appwiz.cpl” in the dialogue box followed by pressing Enter.
- After the application manager opens up, look for the entry of Discord.
- Once you find it, right-click on it and choose Uninstall.
- Reboot your system and then go to the official website of Discord.
- Download the app again and install it in a different location.
- Reboot your system again and then check if the problem still exists or not.
Reinstalling the app makes sure that all the glitches and bugs in the previous installation are removed. This is why it is important that you restart your computer after uninstalling any app/software.
8. Reinstalling the audio driver
Final method to fix the Discord screen share no sound problem. Auto driver is a major component that connects the hardware to the operating system of your computer along with the apps like Discord.
In most cases of the problem under discussion, it was discovered that auto driver was either outdated or bad.
As a result, Discord was unable to transmit audio when the Screen Share option was in function. The following steps will help in installing the latest drivers.
- After pressing Windows and R, enter “devmgmt.msc” and then press Enter.
- Expand the Audio inputs and outputs category in the device manager.
- Right-click the option of sound hardware and choose the option that says Uninstall device.
- Right-click anywhere on your screen and choose the Scan for hardware changes option.
- After not being able to scan the hardware, your system will look for the sound module.
- Following this, the default drivers will be installed automatically.
- Reboot your system after the installation is over.
- Check if the Screen Share option is posing any problem or not.
- In case it does, update your drivers by right-clicking on them and selecting the Update Driver option.
However, if you are still facing the problem, you need to go to the website of the manufacturer and download the drivers. Following that, you will have to install the executable so that the latest drivers install automatically.
It is generally advisable to update every single driver. This is because in most cases it was discovered that a single problematic driver, could also be the source of the problem.
Alternatively, you may tool third party software like Driver Booster to keep your drivers updated all the time. These software keep a look out for latest versions of the drivers and notify you. You may also set the software for automatic driver updation.
This guide should help you permanently get rid of the discord streaming no sound problem. Please follow the steps as mentioned based on the suspected reason of the problem.
Bookmark this page for future reference, should the problem arise again. Share with your friends if they are going through the same problem.